Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Sailing!

I believe this was called a Sun fish. It was a tiny sail boat. Aside  from us being novous sailers the winds weren't ideal. I believe these were the people who were knocked off about 9 times.. needless to say, they didn't get very far.

So a sail boat looks like a simple contraption, but no. it has many many components.. quite simple components but they work in a very balanced manner. you have the rutter.. and that is complicated itself to manuever. I can't remember well, but I believe that if you point it one direction, you go the other way.. or something like that.  I believe the rutters we used in this instance were made of wood and were quite delicate. ..
There is the sail with has a "boom"?? that likes to spin around violently with no warning .. and with these people.. knocked them off several times. I did get hit, and it was NOT fun. I cant imagine how much pain these guys were in. After the 4th time, they gave up and just wanted to get back to shore.. but that took a while..

So while these guys were on the boats ( one person at a time) the others ( us) were on shore looking at the wild life. We saw

Spanish dancers. Not sure how they work, but they were freaky looking.

Sea urchins. These are AWESOME! in each of those spikes, they have this neon orange goo that when broken off, the goo is injected. The goo numbs that part ( for humans) and for animals it paralyses then and the urchin is able to eat them protect themselves.


We even made an army of hermit crabs!!
We saw many many crabs and played around with them. I even held one for the first time!
During this time, I was able to get to know each one of these guys better. I found their weaknesses and fears.   This was the same day we went to Sea turtle inc and I wanted to study marine biology.  The more time I spent on shore and saw the greatness in biodiversity in the marine aspect.. I got a bit freaked out.

This was a GREAT day!

No comments:

Post a Comment